Stargazer Perennials Online Plant Nursery
shop online for roses, perennials, seed potatoes and garden plants grown organically ....
Save 20% on orders for Spring Shipping.
Use code SP1522.
All Plants Ship Spring 2014 - Reserve Now!
Delosperma 'Fire Spinner' ( Ice Plant )
A new take on hardy Ice Plants, Fire Spinner is lighting up gardens all over the country.
Quick Facts About Fire Spinner:
The high contrast color combination pairs fiery purple with orange for unique bi-color flowers that bloom heavy in the spring literally covering the glossy apple green, succulent-like foliage. Fire Spinner continues putting on a show during the summer blooming on and off all season until fall. As the temperature drops, the succulent-type foliage turns an attractive reddish-purple. Easy to grow, this hardy ice plant is true to its name, and thrives in USDA hardiness zones 5 - 10.
Shop for Fire Spinner Ice Plant online.
- USE FOR: Rock gardens, front of the border in perennial gardens, along walkways, plant in mass for maximum impact.
- BLOOM TIME: Heavy in late spring, then all summer
- PESTICIDE-FREE: All of our plants are grown with sustainable organic methods.
- MATURE SIZE: 2-3" tall, spreading habit
- USDA HARDINESS: Zone 5-10
- SOLD IN: #1 Nursery Trade Gallon - 2.51 qt (liquid) (2.38 l)
How to Grow Fire Spinner Ice Plant
Easy to grow hardy ice plants produce a fine mat of little roots as they grow and spreading, giving them a very neat and tidy appearance in the garden. Here a few tips to successfully growing Delosperma Fire Spinner in the garden:
Plant Fire Spinner in rock gardens, along borders or pathways, in container gardens, as a low maintenance ground cover, and in raised perennial beds. Pair with other hardy Ice Plants to create a carpet of varied flower colors and textures in the garden.
- Hardy Ice Plants, or Deleosperma, like it hot, dry, and sunny.
- Good drainage is necessary, if your soil is heavy or drainage is, poor amend first with organic matter and add in a handful or playground sand or small pea gravel to help with drainage.
- In colder areas where snow can sit on the ground, plant Fire Spinner on slopes or areas where snow-pack will not sit for prolonged periods.
- Once established, this perennial plant is xeric and only needs supplemental water during the heat of the summer.
- Fertilizer once in the spring and again mid summer, with a balanced, slow release organic fertilizer.
Other perennial plants to pair with Delosperma Fire Spinner include Coreopsis, Hens and Chicks, stepable ground cover, or Salvias.